Thursday 14 February 2013

Vegan Chocolate Cake

I ran out of butter and am making my husband his birthday cake.
I remembered making a Vegan chocolate cake once for a colleague's birthday (who was Vegan) and I dug out an old and trusty recipe I thought I would share with you all for days you want cake and have no butter.


What You'll Need:
  • 1 cake pan - you can make this a square or round cake, or even cupcakes if you fancy - I chose a medium-sized round pan
  • 1 large bowl, 1 small bowl
  • 1/5 cups of all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 cups granulated sugar
  • 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup cocoa powder (I use the extra dark kind that is virtually sugar-free)
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/3 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 tsp vinegar (plain, not cider or rice, etc)
  • 1 cup room temperature water

What You'll Do:
  • Pre-heat your oven
  • Lightly grease your baking pan
  • In your large bowl sift your flour, sugars, cocoa, baking soda and salt together until fully combined
  • In your small bowl pour in your oil, vanilla, vinegar then water
  • Quickly whisk up until combined and bubbly
  • Pour into your flour mixture and stir until smooth
  • Pour into your baking pan
  • Depending on the depth of your pan, or if you decided to make cupcakes, cooking times varies. For me it took around 25 minutes. I could tell it was done when the centre was no longer wiggly when moved about and when I could stick in a toothpick and it came out 'clean' (not gooey)
  • Let cool and serve with your favourite ice cream or fruit topping - here is a link to a super simple cherry topping that is really easy to make and adds a nice zing

The STEWART SCORE
Appearance: 1.5
Taste: 2
Ease: 2

No comments:

Post a Comment